WATCH (World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc.) announced their nominees for the “10 Worst Toys of 2018” to warn consumers not to purchase the products mentioned on the list for children due to dangerous features. The non-profit organization has been raising awareness about dangerous toys for more than 40 years to reduce the number of child injuries and bring about change.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 240,000 injuries involved toys in 2016, while 35 children died from toy-related accidents between 2014 and 2016. From 1990 and 2011, toy-related injuries increased by 40 percent. Common toy dangers include small parts, projectiles, rigid materials, strings, toxic substances, and inaccurate or lack of labels and warnings.
The following are the ten worst toys to purchase this holiday season, according to WATCH:
- Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw – Recommended for children who are at least five years old, using this toy to emulate the comic book and movie superhero can cause eye and facial injuries, despite the warning not to strike people or animals with it. In addition, it is also considered a choking hazard.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster – This plastic gun is equipped with two cartridges that can 10 discs each. Firing these discs can possibly lead to eye and facial injuries. This toy is recommended for children eight years of age or older.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade – The plastic blade on this toy can extend to make it 24 inches long and also comes with a “ninja star” which attaches to the sword. If used as a weapon—like in the television show—this toy can cause eye injuries, facial injuries, and blunt force trauma.
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lites – While the marketing for this product suggests infants can use this as a nightlight, the warning on the package cautions not to use it in a crib and do not let a child play with the toy unsupervised. The pillow-like toy comes with a small flower made of felt and other accessories that can pose as a choking or ingestion hazard. Furthermore, the package also warns of potential battery acid leaks.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket – This toy can be launched up to 200 feet in the air. However, aiming it at another person’s face can cause eye and facial injuries.
- Zoo Jamz Xylophone – Marketed for children between one and a half and four years of age, there are no warnings for this product despite the potential of a baby or toddler putting the drumstick handle in his/her mouth, which can clog the airways.
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll – There are no warnings on this toy recommended for two-year-olds, despite the removable headband that kids can potentially put in their mouth and ingest.
- Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog – Despite the dangers of toys equipped with strings and limits imposed by regulation entities, this pull toy has a cord which measures 19 inches. There is no warning on the package.
- Cutting Fruit – The knife used to cut the magnetic fruits in half is made of hard plastic, which can result in punctures and blunt force trauma. The recommended age for this toy is at least two years old.
- NICI Wonderland Doll:Miniclara the Ballerina – This doll comes with an accessory in the shape of a small kitten, which can detach and pose as a choking hazard. This toy is recommended for children two years of age or older.
If your child has suffered an injury caused by a dangerous product in Fort Worth, our experienced personal injury attorney at Law Office of James M. Stanley can hold the company or manufacturer liable for the harm they caused. Not only are we committed to help you obtain the maximum settlement possible, but also ensure that these products are taken out of the market so it doesn’t cause harm to other families.
For more information about dangerous products, contact us and schedule a free consultation today.