Riding a bicycle is great exercise and a cost-effective method of transportation, but, unfortunately, cyclists are at risk of injury when they share the road with negligent drivers. However, there are certain steps you can take to protect yourself and help prevent bicycle accidents.
How to Protect Yourself While Biking
- Wear a helmet every time you ride – When riding a bicycle, there is very little to protect you from injury in the event of a crash. It is especially important that you wear a helmet to make sure that your head is protected as much as possible.
- Wear brightly-colored and reflective clothing – Wearing hard-to-miss clothing can greatly increase your visibility both during the day and at night, making it easier for motorists to spot you.
- Install lights and reflectors on the front and back of your bike – Lights and reflectors are another great way to make sure that drivers notice you at all times of the day.
- Install and use a bell or other type of audible signal – Using an audible signal is an effective method for alerting drivers of your presence on the road.
- Follow all traffic laws – As a cyclist, you have a responsibility to follow traffic laws, and doing so could greatly reduce your risk of being in a collision.
- Bike defensively – It’s important that you are always aware of what’s happening around you. Don’t assume that motorists see you.
- Don’t wear earbuds or headphones – Make sure that you can hear cars driving near you and motorists using their horns.
- Avoid streets with lots of driveways – When possible, it’s best to avoid biking on streets that have numerous driveways and parking lot entrances and exits.
- Be cautious when riding by parked cars – Try to ride at least 3 feet away from parked cars and be on the lookout for opening doors.
- Choose to take the safe route over the fast route – Your wellbeing is always more important than saving a few minutes on your commute.
Injured? Get the Compassionate Counsel You Deserve
If you or a loved one is harmed in a bicycle accident, you may have legal options to pursue compensation. We encourage you to get in touch with the Law Office of James M. Stanley to request a free case evaluation. When you choose our law firm, you will receive the skilled legal counsel of an attorney who takes the time to understand your story and seeks solutions that fit your unique needs. You don’t have to face the aftermath of a bicycle accident alone; call our Fort Worth personal injury attorneys today!